McDonalds Singapore remove pig from the Chinese zodiac

McDonalds Singapore is now selling Doraemon lucky charm at $2 with every set meal. There are 12 of them in the series and the Doraemon are wearing costume representing the 12 Chinese zodiac animals (生肖). But the pig is missing from the series. Instead, a Doraemon holding a heart representing the Cupid is used to replace the pig. McDonalds spokesperson said that the chain excluded the pig toy because they are a Halal restaurant. Out of sensitivity for its Muslim customers, the pig is being replaced by the Cupid, as Chinese New Year falls on Valentines day this year.

Firstly, I don’t know why they want to do this Doraemon wearing Chinese zodiac costume soft toy. They look ugly. I prefer either Doraemon by itself or the Chinese zodiac by itself. Not combined. But maybe that is just me.

What I cannot understand is the logic behind McDonald’s exclusion of the pig from the Chinese zodiac series. The Chinese zodiac animals is a part of the Chinese culture. There are 12 animals. You cannot remove 1 of the animals and still call it the Chinese zodiac. Does McDonalds know how many customers are born in the year of the pig? How would they feel if their zodiac is being excluded?

And honestly, I don’t know who will be offended if McDonalds sell a pig soft toy. I’ve been asking most of my Muslim friends, all of them don’t mind the sight of a pig soft toy hanging at the counter. Why? Because it is just a soft toy. The Muslim religion says that the pig is unclean. Muslim are not allowed to consume pork or have any contact with pigs. The pigs we are talking about here are real pigs. Not soft toy pig. And confirm not Doraemon soft toy wearing a pig costume.

The soft toy is not made with any material from the pig. And nobody is going to eat that soft toy.

Even the Muslim teachers and scholars said there is nothing wrong with a Halal restaurant giving out a pig soft toy. Did McDonalds Singapore consulted Muis before removing the pig from the series? And is the local Muslim community really so sensitive over a pig soft toy? Everyone knows that the pig is 1 of the 12 Chinese zodiac animals which is part of Chinese culture. I’m sure the Muslim community is sensible and understanding enough to allow the Chinese to have pig in their Chinese zodiac.

Besides, this is not the first time McDonalds Singapore is selling a pig soft toy. They sold Miss Piggy when they had the Muppets series soft toy. And Piglet during the Winnie the Pooh series. Did anyone complain back then?

If McDonalds Singapore feel that selling the pig soft toy will offend their Muslim customers, then they shouldn’t sell the Chinese zodiac series at all. If McDonalds Singapore want to make a Chinese zodiac series, they should respect the Chinese culture and offer the series as a whole. Not an incomplete series. How are we going to explain the Chinese zodiac to the younger generation when they saw the pig being replaced by Cupid? McDonalds has no rights to rewrite Chinese culture and amend the Chinese zodiac. Whoever came up with the idea of removing the pig from the Chinese zodiac series made a terrible decision. I wonder what is he/she thinking.

I feel sorry for those who are born in the year of the Pig. They can’t collect the Chinese zodiac animal that they belongs to. I’m so glad that I’m born in the year of the Monkey which isn’t a taboo to any religion. (Not that I know of)

Update: They are going to hold a protest at Hong Lim Park this Saturday (16 Jan 2010) at 2pm.

Update 2: McDonalds Singapore has apologised for the exclusion of the pig in the Chinese Zodiac. They will be launching the Doraemon pig in Mid April. All proceeding goes to charity.

61 Responses to 'McDonalds Singapore remove pig from the Chinese zodiac'

1. Tan says:

Guess McDonald’s should sell only to muslim customers and bar all non muslim from it’s restaurant

2. Tan says:

Let bycott McDonald’s restaurant.

3. Name says:

Looks more like Singaporeans believe and support the concept of apartheid.

What is the purpose of Halal Certification for a restaurant, really?

Is McDonald now an Islamic Zone only for Muslims because of this Halal Certification – since non – Malay – Muslim food will most likely be barred.

4. Lynn says:

maybe I will support Mcdonald less in the future, for the lame reason they give and their food is not as good as before, now there are many other fast food choices.

5. stup says:

only stupid people comes out with stupid idea.

6. aqaiz says:

Hi,

Being a Muslim myself, i am not offended by Macdonald’s, decision to include the Pig in the collection series. I was frighten however that an argument between the Muslims and non-Muslims might arise from Macdonald’s mistake.(which is to late) it might be a marketing gimmick as now everybody is rushing to buy the Doremon. However as Macdonald’s promote promote the soft toy as lucky charms and not the Chinese Zodiac gives Macdonald’s the right to exclude the pig. However Macdonald’s did not give a good response when questions by its Chinese customers.Also Islam is not the only religion to forbid the eating of swine meat and drinking alcoholic drinks. Let me remind all Singaporeans , that the Police can arrest and imprison anyone without trial for suspecting to spread racial and religious hatred.

Ps. I think the police install a ‘bug’ in our computers , phone , car, house and almost every place. How do you think the police can arrest criminals very fast.

7. aqaiz says:

Hi,

I will also like to point out several points.

1) Muslims must respect all religion and cultures
    2) There is a dog in the collection
    3) Some muslims are born in the year of the pig. My uncle is one of them and he does not mind
    4) Muslims are also allowed to keep dog ( for security, eg, you live in the states)
    5) never mix religion with politics or business with politics( muslims are prohibited from doing that)
    6) This is similar to the Allah issue in Malaysia
    7) lets not follow our neighbor, singapore have its own way
    8)The Chinese zodiac is only cultural and we have Chinese
    muslims
    9) most muslims are malays and most of them are unable to accept point 1
    10) Most important singaporeans must preserve our way of life or risk being joining back with Malaysia ( i being a malay do not want it to happen)

8. Meh. says:

I’m a muslim,and i’m not at all offended,but i’m sure some over protective muslim mother out there will complain that her son/daughter is getting a pig with her happy meal.

1. […] Singapore remove pig from the Chinese zodiac – DKSG. [online] Blog.dk.sg. Available at: http://blog.dk.sg/2010/01/12/mcdonalds-singapore-remove-pig-from-the-chinese-zodiac/ [Accessed 7 Jun. […]