Please punch above the belt

The past few days have been very depressing for the local social media scene. A lot of people were talking about PAP’s new 27-year-old potential candidate, Tin Pei Ling. I don’t need to go into details on what have been said about her online. If you are reading this blog entry, you most likely have seen the other blog entries and tweets about her.

I said it is depressing for local social media scene because a large number of people are misusing social media to attack Tin Pei Ling. And most of them are punching below the belt. Some people are flaming her for posing a V sign with a Kate Spade box. The worst I’ve seen are those who dig out photos of her ex-boyfriend and current husband. These people even speculate that she dumped her ex-boyfriend to go marry her current husband who is more than 10 years older than her.

This is crazy. What does her personal photo, ex-boyfriend and husband got to do with her candidacy? I don’t care what sign she use when she pose for personal photos. She can use middle finger too if she wants. That’s her private photos taken during her own personal time. As long as she don’t do that at official events, I don’t see anything wrong with that. I’m very sure she knows when to behave appropriately.

As for the photos of ex-boyfriend and husband, I thought we only see those rubbish on tabloid news. Why did social media scoop that low.

It is depressing to see people using social media for such despicable manner. How do you expect the general public to take social media seriously when all they see is this sort of gutter journalism. Yes, some of you may argue that the PAP did similar things in the past. But why do we want to go down to their level?

Let’s be more objective here everyone. Her personal photos, ex-boyfriends and husband have nothing to do with her capabilities. These topic should not be brought up in the first place.

Don’t get me wrong. I’m not saying Tin Pei Ling is suitable to be a PAP candidate for this coming election. I’m just saying that we are judging her using the wrong scale. We are looking for a MP here, not saint. Debate on her capabilities.

Use social media in a responsible manner. Please don’t ruin the reputation of this platform. The oppositions needs this platform to be creditable for the upcoming election.

Punch above the belt.

PS: Read what Siew Kum Hong said regarding this issue. This is exactly why I have the highest respect for him. It’s a pity he is no longer a NMP.

11 Responses to 'Please punch above the belt'

1. Hun Boon says:

hmm.. sounds like you’re upset because those things were said online, and would be less so if the same content had appeared in tabloid newspapers?

Online and social media are just tools after all, people should learn to judge the message for themselves. An article in a book or newspaper shouldn’t, by default, command more respect and authority than in a blog.
    Hun Boon´s last blog post ..Is The Way We’re Working- Working

2. sushibar says:

agree with Hun Boon

Hun Boon: You see, if this happen on tabloid, I won’t give a damn because it is after all a tabloid. Nobody treats tabloid seriously.

But I don’t want to see social media end up in the same category as tabloid.

4. hahaha says:

I would like to see a balanced view too.
    Hope to see you write about the similar treatments PAP melted out to past candidates and opposition members….

5. jane says:

her personal photo – bimbostic character
    ex-boyfriend – moral flaw
    and husband – down right cronyism

BTW all the photos in question was on public domain – this shows how much she understands social media. We gonna learn form her?

6. b&f says:

if she can’t stand the heat then get out of the kitchen! why the hell are you defending her?

b&f: I’m not defending her. I’m just saying that we shouldn’t punch below the belt. I’m perfectly fine if someone say she is inexperience or does not have the leadership quality etc etc. But talking about her personal photos, ex-bf and husband is just distasteful.

8. Fixer says:

Forgive me, I am but a product of Singapore, following the example set by our leaders. Our Mentor Ministers has been a shining example of how to threat opposition. So what is wrong if whole Singapre follows in his steps. In our PM’s word, we are just trying to “Fix” Ms Tin. Why to hue and cry when the table’s are reversed. It’s about time our million dollar ministers get some exposure to “fixing” as well.

Cheers
    Fixer

9. jojo says:

Hi DK,

Nice to know your view on Tin Tin !
    Seriously, I dun feel anything wrong to dig her past to the public.
    Needless to repeat how LKY did it to the potential opposition candidate who can speak for Sporean. You have every right to defend her and we have our rights to check on her lifestyle to know the truth of her character.
    Talking about capability ? What can she prove so far by joining GRC in Marine Parade under old guard GCT? Honestly, I also can make it if given a chance. Even an FT also can do it.

Still, you are entitle to our own opinion. Dun sue me hor coz majority differ from yours.

My View,
    Different opinion

jojo: If we do the same as what LKY did in the past, then what different are we from them?

But I do agree that she won’t be able to proof her capability by joining Marine Parade GRC. What to do? GRC system sucks. It shouldn’t be there in the first place. Now we are having a hard time trying to remove it.

1. […] Ling – Project Lucy: You should have stopped at the Kate Spades [Thanks JW] – Dee Kay Dot As Gee: Please punch above the belt – onesingaporean: Why so mean? Here’s why – Weekday Blues: In Spite Of, or Because Of. – Musings […]