Reservist Day Ten & Eleven – The big one

The big one

**This entry is about events that occur on 19 and 20 Sept.**

Woke up at 5am for breakfast. Am surprised to received a SMS from a friend to wish me good luck for the exercise. She is still awake at that hour and is doing her work. Am touched by the SMS.

It was a mad rush in the morning. Lots of things to do within 1 1/2 hours. Have to move off from camp at 0630hrs sharp. I’m always the first group to leave camp for exercise. The main body leave camp 1 1/2 hours later than me. NOT FAIR!

Forgot to buy camo cream and have to borrow from my CSM. His camo cream was from the previous in camp (which is one year ago). Better than nothing I guess.

My officer really garang. Everything also want to walk when there is a rover. Easy for him since his load is rather light. I’m the one who is carrying heavy load. I guess he is also inexperienced too. Some of the things can take rover, but he didn’t know until I suggested to him. Well, he still need more practice. This is the first time he hold this position for a large scale exercise.

The weather is hot, very hot. I drank lots and lots of water but it still wasn’t enough. Am glad that we are still in friendly area where water is almost unlimited supply. Can’t imagine being in enemy ground where there is no resupply.

Nothing much happened in the afternoon. The drivers are good at making themselves at home outfield. I joined their little tent where they got a small radio and some seats. Managed to rest and catch a short nap. It is going to be a long night.

Logistic was horrible at night. We waited very long for our transport to come. Luckily I’m in the 2nd wave and can wait in friendly area. Since I’m in friendly area, I could sleep openly without fears. Those in the 1st wave have to wait in enemy zone and could sleep. Poor thing.

The transport finally arrive after more than 1 hour delay. The journey to the enemy zone was a nice one. I saw a shooting star and made a wish. The night sky view was beautiful.

The night exercise was a tough one. We almost didn’t meet our target in time due to the delay of the transport. Our deployment ground was very interesting. It is just opposite some HDB flats. Singapore really not enough land. While we are deploying, there are several people looking at us from across the road. I wonder if anyone of them took photo of us and send to Stomp.

The first mission went on smoothly and we proceed to our second mission. The second mission is fought with transport, so it wasn’t that tough. Everything went on smoothly and the exercise ended at around 1830hrs.

We started to return all our store once we reach camp. Our platoon has the most stores. It took 1 1/2 hours to finish returning everything. And that is already considered quite fast. We used to take one whole afternoon to return all our store. I guess everyone is familiar with the process and thus able to work faster to get things done.

It was a tough exercise. Perhaps I’m too old for all these.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *